Monday, December 2, 2013

Holiday Travel - Timing

Now is the season for holiday travel. That means a lot of opportunities for things to get a little hairy, particularly when bad weather slows down air travel. One of the most important things I have found to help at lease keep me up to the minute in air travel is United's travel updates that they can send by text or by email (www.united.com for details). They are very helpful to let me know the status of my flights. Amtrak also does a nice job of alerting me to train delays (www.amtrak.com) Why does this matter for travel etiquette? It's important not to be late to events where your host has spent a lot of time preparing their home and often big meals for us. We want to be as courteous as possible to those that are graciously hosting us and alert them as soon as we can to delays. Additionally, these little website tricks will help you stay away from the ticket counters that are often filled with folks that really are facing some travel crisis. When I get the alerts I am much more calm about the travel and generally have a better disposition when I get my coffee from the Starbucks barista - and everyone appreciates that! Wishing you a fantastic holiday season and may your planes, trains, and automobiles be on time!

No comments:

Post a Comment