Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Meeting Start Times - Early, Late or Right on Time?

I appreciate that people want to start meetings on time.  I think it is important to respect all attendees times.  But one rarely discussed topic is whether it is ok to start a meeting early. I propose it is not. What if someone is coming from another meeting?  If you start your meeting early, you are saying that you are more important than the prior meeting/appointment.  It is important to respect everyone's time so an on time - no earlier or later is best. What is the best way to keep on time though? I struggle with this a lot. I submit every bell and whistle should go off on your desktop or smart phone (just remember to disable the phone when you get in the meeting). I also always try to plan for longer than you think. Meetings inevitably go over so I try to add 15 minutes lag time after each meeting so that you can wrap up and not be rushed to the next task without finishing the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment